Our department is looking for a creative Web Developer that can work with our designer and web strategist team to develop new web templates and online applications. The ideal candidate is hands-on with strong knowledge of content management platforms. They also will be responsible for updating our current online applications, as well as developing and implementing a usability testing process to insure that new website applications meet our department’s needs, are in line with current trends, and meet accessibility requirements.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide organizational, technical, and design support to the Web Communications team and SIU departments, working primarily to fulfill the web marketing goals of the University. This position will create, test, and trouble shoot web applications and build custom modules for a content management system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop modules for the University’s Content Management system (CMS) using programming languages (velocity) and scripting languages for dynamic content and content re-use.
- Works with clients, designers and IT staff to identify project development needs and solutions.
- Works with databases and develops web-based tools and applications for administering customized web applications or specific web functionalities.
- Creates new or modifies existing application programs to update current outdated applications.
- Documents, tests, implements and provides on-going support for the applications.
- Work with Content Management System to customize templates and build applications
- Trains and serves as technical support for users of current and new applications by writing documentation, handling phone calls, and answering the ticketing system.
- Works closely with IT staff with regards to web server maintenance, updates, and trouble shooting.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with Google Analytics.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a number of competing projects and deadlines on an on-going basis and respond quickly to the needs of departments
- Knowledgeable with current online technologies and trends.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Outstanding sense of customer service.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE JOB
- Minimum of two years’ experience in web development or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information System (or related field).
- Proficient in web technologies (any of the following: Java, PHP, JSP, ASP).
- Proficient in HTML5/CSS3.
- Strong analytical/trouble shooting skills.
- Experience with the entire development cycle: gather requirements, design, code, test, maintenance, and support.
- Experience or knowledge in Web Content Accessibility Guidelines with templates, forms, slideshows, tables, etc.
- Experience with responsive code and template optimization.
- Experience with enterprise level database (web queries, optimizing, maintenance, etc).
- Experience using FTP clients and troubleshooting skills.
- Good communications skills along with good customer service skills.
- Needs to be able to work well with a team as well as customers.
- Learn new technologies quickly.
- Technical writing ability.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Must research new technologies.
- Prefer familiarity with computer and server operating systems (Windows and Unix).